20 S Forty Road, Alabaster, AL 35007
A Bit of History
Self taught, doing it my own way from about 2001 – 2008 when I began learning PHP Frameworks and Object Oriented Programming. I messed with CakePHP and Symfony a little bit, but really used CodeIgniter as my main “go-to” MVC. Close to the same time I was also digging heavily into jQuery. It wasn’t until about late 2010 when I began to play around with WordPress. I found that keeping up with my own CMS was exhausting and slowed me down tremendously when producing new work. There were some content management systems available using CodeIgniter, but they too were much in their infancy, so WordPress just made sense. There was a huge community behind it, several years under its belt, just about any plugin you could ever need, with a great API for writing your own. This decision sparked a lot of additional interests that expanded my skills as a developer and helped me get more involved with a community for open source software.
Custom Meta Boxes
Allows developers to easily add meta boxes with custom fields into their posts or pages.
Add tabs in your content with simple markup and fails cleanly.
- Popular oil change and mechanic service chain throughout 13 states in the US.
- Responsible for migrating site over from proprietary CMS into WordPress.
- Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama
- Responsible for migrating site over from Drupal into WordPress and WooCommerce.
Chick-fil-A (Houston Road)
nkyleadercast.com (pending redesign for 2014)
- Updated annually, this site allows people in the Northern Kentucky area to purchase tickets to the lead
- Responsibilities: Designed and built entire original site within short time-frame. Had 3 days to get ticket system up and running. Site originally used Google Checkout to handle transactions, now a third party ticket system.
Waging War on Normal
- Promotional Site for Robert Montgomery showcasing his bike trip across the United States
- Responsibilities: Designed and built with a short deadline in WordPress.
The Paddle Out
- Online Store selling apparel and gear featuring custom artwork and branding.
- Ported over to WooCommerce and rebuilt theme in order to add scalability.
SportsEvents Magazine (Covey Communications)
- Helping planners of amateur sporting events and competitions be more effective, informed and successful with their events.
- Responsibilities: Entire site design and functionality, including full content management, advertisement management, and many user submitted email forms.
Hoover Chamber of Commerce
- Providing services to the Hoover community, member businesses, visitors and prospective residents by promoting a healthy business environment and featuring great restaurants, lodging facilities, sporting events, and vacation areas.
- Responsibilities: Entire site design and functionality, including full content management, advertisement management, and member directory management.
Caldwell Mill Animal Clinic
- Local animal clinic in Birmingham, AL
- Designed and built site on my custom CMS.
Trussville Police Department
- Local police department/law enforcement in Trussville, AL.
- Responsibilities: Entire site design and functionality, including full content management and user submitted forms.
Mark’s Outdoor Sports
marksgunsearch.com (offline), markshotlakes.com (offline), marksscopefinder.com (offline)
- Used gun search tool, lake reports and scope finder for local outdoor sports company.
- Project Details: Setup system and administration panel for adding/managing inventory. Users can create a “unique finder” that will email them whenever their selected item has been added in the product inventory.
08/2013 – Present
Self (Briantics, Inc.)
Decided to become a full time freelance developer, taking on projects of all shapes and sizes.
11/2010 – 08/2013
Responsible for setting up systems used day-to-day, direction of workflow process, new production, maintenance, and server administration. Wore many hats. Got deeply involved with WordPress, wrote several plugins and many custom pieces for WordPress including a dynamic custom meta box plugin and a very robust CSV Importer plugin. Also responsible for a few migrations from custom CMSs to WordPress.
02/2009 – 10/2010
ASP.NET Developer Intern
01/2009 – 05/2009
04/2008 – 02/2009
Self employed, completing freelance work on a contract basis. Partial work history detailed above in portfolio.
01/2007 – 04/2008
Alabama Telco Credit Union
Second major project was to redesign Internet website using ASP.NET (VB) 2.0/MySQL; I was also designed this from Photoshop to XHTML with direction from Marketing. Website is database driven, allowing the content to be searchable and managed through a CMS admin system available strictly on intranet site. The site features online application requests, an amazing drop-down navigation tool, the occasional flash promotion on the homepage, and a repossessions photo gallery.
Other projects include designing a mockup for new home banking platform interface, a sales number tracking tool, employee dashboard, training and online testing tracking, and a Halloween contest voting system.
08/2005 – 08/2006
High Ground Solutions, Inc.
Began High Ground as a graphic designer; Solely responsible for creating corporate marketing materials from concept to completion; Including flash presentations, posters, flyers, brochures, signage, logos, and email newsletters. Major projects included 11×8.5 Hanging Wall Calendars, customized for several public and private schools and churches; Tri-fold brochures for clients; and full size fold-out brochures for organization.
Position changed once the development of their company website began. Handled design from start to finish using Dreamweaver and Photoshop. Admin for site included managing content, user email accounts and auto-forwarders, MySQL databases, and an online calendar creation tool.
Additionally, began the development of two web based products known as SchoolCast and TestPoint using PHP/MySQL; includes layout, design, programming and graphical elements.
Westwood College of Technology (Online)
01/2004 – 12/2005
Graphic Design Major – Completed all but three courses in the Graphic Design curriculum!
Graphic/Web Design Intern
11/2004 – 08/2005
Primary responsibilities were to design creative elements for banners, web ads, and splash pages, while following strict style guidelines for fast load time, small file size and versatility among common browsers. Designing involved work in Photoshop, Flash/Actionscript, and HTML/programming. Also provided creative copy for advertising purposes and occasionally created websites and splash pages using HTML/PHP.