I somehow F’d up my installation of IE8 (I couldn’t really tell you how) and now whenever I try to run IE8 or IE8 64bit, the window would pop up and then immediately crash. For about a month I would google this problem on and off trying to maybe find that one website that has a different solution from all the rest. Well, today I found it.
Normally this would be a good thing that IE doesn’t work and I should just appreciate the fact and move on. However since I am a web developer, not having IE posed a large problem to me when it came time to debug websites and do cross-browser testing. So fixing this problem was a must for me.
There are several known solutions to this problem and I thought I had tried them all:
- Reset Internet Explorer Settings
- Uninstall Internet Explorer/Reinstall Internet Explorer
- Run Internet Explorer Troubleshooters (Windows 7)
- Run Internet Explorer with No Add-Ons
- Upgrade to Internet Explorer 9
Here are my results from these remedies:
- Did Not Help
- Did Not Help
- I had a bit of trouble with this step. First of all, the Troubleshooters weren’t there. Then I found a site that told me how to download the troubleshooters. That didn’t work either. I never was able to try this step since I couldn’t find the Troubleshooters
- Did Not Work
- Still had all the same problems
Finally the solution that worked for me I found here: http://www.tech-forums.net/…ie8-wont-open-crashes-instantly
It basically says:
- Click START | RUN and type cmd
- In the command prompt, type cd\
- In the command prompt, type cd Program Files
- In the command prompt, type cd Internet Explorer
- In the command prompt, type regsvr32 IEPROXY.DLL
- You should get a confirmation that the IEPROXY.DLL has been registered. You can then close all windows and try Internet Explorer again.
Thanks to (ironically named) macdawg for this fix! Here are some instructions for those having this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896