Here is my conversation I had with HTC (just to reference):
Lately I have been getting a popup-alert message on my HTC Incredible reading:
The process com.htc.bgp has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Then there is a button below that reads “Force close”. This is very annoying has me a bit worried. What is this process? Is it important? What does it do? What am I missing out on? Is my phone broken?
Can you please help with this error?
Dear Brian DiChiara,
You were having issues with an error message process.com.htc.bg causing a process to stop unexpectedly on your HTC DROID Incredible. When you get this type of error message, this error indicates that a core program has not installed correctly so it leads to the device force closing any applications or programs that maybe affected by this process error. Unfortunately, there is only one way to clear up this issue and it would require a factory reset of your device. You should be aware that this procedure would delete all your personal information from the device memory.
Performing a factory reset using phone buttons
If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.
1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.
2. Wait for the screen with the 3Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.
3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.
4. When asked to confirm, press VOLUME UP.
If this process error continues, the error message process.com.htc.bg maybe affiliated with Facebook. If you are syncing Contacts and they update regularly with Facebook, there could be an issue with the application. I would recommend you clear the data within the application then soft reset your device.
1. Press Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
2. Clear data from the Facebook application in “Manage applications”
To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number XXXXXXXXXXXXX.